12. Allen’s relationship with Mia’s adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn, began in 1990. Up to that point, according to Allen himself, “She was someone who didn’t like me. I had no interest in her, none whatsoever. She was a quiet person who did her work. I never spoke to her.” That all changed when they started going to Knick games together in New York. In the weeks that followed, Allen did something to Soon-Yi he’d never done before when visiting Mia. He said “hello” to her.
13. Over time, the relationship between Soon-Yi and Allen grew closer, especially when she started going to college in the fall of 1991. According to Justice Wilk, “[s]he was naïve, socially inexperienced and vulnerable.” According to Allen, “she was lonely and unhappy at school…”. They had daily phone conversations while she stayed with Mia on weekends. Her frequent contacts with Allen went unmentioned to her mother.
14. It was January 13, 1992 that Mia found the six nude photographs of Soon-Yi that Allen had taken and left “on a mantelpiece” in his apartment. “She is posed reclining on a couch with her legs spread apart.” According to Allen, Soon-Yi had expressed an interest in modelling. Mia angrily called Allen. She later confronted Soon-Yi. When she found out they were having sex, “Ms. Farrow hit her on the side of the face and on the shoulders”. She later “told her older children what she learned.”
15. Following the tense phone call with Mia, Allen went to her apartment where he noted she was “ragingly angry” with him. “She begged him to leave.” But he later “came back less than an hour later” to have dinner with the kids in what Mia later testified “was a rather silent meal”. She further noted that he acted “as if nothing had happened” while uncharacteristically conversing with her kids. But” one by one”, five of them including Moses, “took their plates and left” the table. Mia would exit the apartment shortly thereafter.
16. It was during this period in late 1991 that the couple “retained counsel and attempted to negotiate a settlement of their differences.” Allen told Mia he broke it off with Soon-Yi. He lied. “A temporary arrangement enabled Mr. Allen to visit regularly with Dylan and Satchel but they were not permitted to visit at his residence. In addition, Ms. Farrow asked for his assurance that he would not seek custody of Moses, Dylan or Satchel.”
17. Despite agreeing to sign a waiver in February 1992 where he would relinquish his “custodial rights to Moses, Dylan and Satchel” if Mia died before he did, he secretly signed “a second document…in which he disavowed the waiver, claiming that it was a product of duress and coercion”. It read in part, “I have no intention of abiding by it and have been advised that it will not hold up legally and that at worst I can revoke it unilaterally at will.”
18. When Mia threw a birthday party for five-year-old Dylan in Connecticut, Allen arrived “and monopolized Dylan’s time and attention”. On the bathroom door near the guest room where he stayed for the night, Mia posted “a note which called Mr. Allen a child molester” in “reference” to “his affair with Soon-Yi”.
19. “In the summer of 1992”, Soon-Yi kept getting calls from a “Mr. Simon” while she was a camp counsellor. She went on to lose the paying gig. Although she told Mia she quit, her mom later received a letter from the camp noting that she was actually fired thanks to the mysterious Mr. Simon. As it turns out, “Mr. Simon was Woody Allen.” Knowing that Mia would be monumentally pissed off if she knew she was at Allen’s apartment, “[s]he refused to tell Ms. Farrow where she was staying”.
20. On August 4, 1992, Allen went to see Mia and the kids in Connecticut. Mia was out shopping with a friend when he arrived. A babysitter was “previously instructed” to not let Allen “be left alone with Dylan”. Unfortunately, “[f]or a period of fifteen or twenty minutes during the afternoon”, she lost track of both of them.
21. Later that same day, this same babysitter “observed Mr. Allen kneeling in front of Dylan with his head on her lap, facing her body. Dylan was sitting on the couch staring vacantly in the direction of a television set”. When Mia came back from her shopping trip, a friend observed “that Dylan was not wearing anything under her sundress”.
22. After the babysitter later told Mia about the TV incident, she asked Dylan “whether it was true that daddy had his face in her lap yesterday”. According to Mia’s sworn testimony, “Dylan said yes. And then she said she didn’t like it one bit, no, he was breathing into her, into her legs, she said. And that he was holding her around the waist and I said, why didn’t you get up and she said she tried to but that he put his hands underneath her and touched her. And she showed me where…her behind.”
23. Feeling that professional shrinks weren’t properly recognizing her growing worries about all of this, Mia personally recorded Dylan with a video camera describing another incident involving Allen. “…Dylan told Ms. Farrow that she had been with Mr. Allen in the attic and that he had touched her privates with his finger”. (This is the same incident that the adult Dylan later recounted in her 2014 New York Times blog posting.) Mia openly hoped her daughter was making all of this up. (“Let’s hope it is her fantasy.”) A week after being informed of Dylan’s accusation, Allen broke his word to Mia and started his legal fight for custody.
24. Two days before the start of 1993, “Dylan was interviewed by a representative of the Connecticut State Police.” During the interview, Dylan said that “while at Mr. Allen’s apartment” sometime in 1991 “she saw him and Soon-Yi having sex. Her reporting was childlike but graphic. She also told the police that Mr. Allen had pushed her face into a plate of hot spaghetti and had threatened to do it again.”
25. “…Dylan told Ms. Farrow…that in Connecticut, while she was climbing up the ladder to a bunk bed, Mr. Allen put his hands under her shorts and touched her.” As Mia later recounted on the witness stand, Dylan “was illustrating graphically where in the genital area” as her daughter was telling her the disturbing details.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Sunday, February 9, 2014