1. David Bowie died of cancer two days after releasing his final studio album. First, there was collective denial, then absolute shock and sadness. His unexpected death set the tone for a miserable year.
2. Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States. How much considerable, irreparable harm will he cause to the world?
3. Daniel Bryan retired from the WWE due to severe, unrecoverable injuries. He was looking like the next John Cena. Now he’s reduced to being a powerless “authority” figure on Smackdown, a supporting player on a reality show and a punching bag for The Miz.
4. Jian Ghomeshi isn’t in prison. Rape culture is real.
5. The Fort McMurray fire in Alberta. Such devastation. It will takes years to rebuild.
6. Fifty Shades Of Black. A horrifically unfunny “parody” of Fifty Shades Of Grey. No more Marlon Wayans movies. Please.
7. Gord Downie’s terminal brain cancer diagnosis. May he live as long as he can and make as much good music as he is able.
8. The armed protest at the Oregon Wildlife Refuge. What exactly did it accomplish other than mass ridicule?
9. The rise in racist hate crimes against Muslims, trans people, gays, Black people, Jews, Palestinians and Indigenous communities worldwide. White supremacy needs to die already.
10. Mr. Fuji died.
11. Gitmo is still open.
12. CM Punk lost his first UFC fight in the first round. Years ago, Brock Lesnar lost his first fight as well and went on to become World Champion. So there’s still hope for The Straight Edge Superstar. He’ll be back.
13. Krystal on Canada’s Worst Driver 12. An unrepentant narcissist who is an absolute maniac on the road. The sooner her license is permanently suspended, the better. Host Andrew Younghusband deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for tolerating this phone-addicted brat as well and for as long as he did.
14. The phony “Bernie Bro” smear from Clintonistas desperate to keep the Vermont Senator from becoming the Democratic nominee for President. Not only did this erase the millions of women who supported Bernie Sanders (especially Hillary Clinton’s numerous feminist critics and women of colour), it was dastardly and downright insulting. In the end, Donald Trump is the next US President, so good job, you stupid idiots.
15. Gawker went bankrupt after losing a court case to balding, overtanned racist Hulk Hogan. Fuck you, Peter Thiel.
16. The very funny Garry Shandling died. He spearheaded two of the most influential sitcoms of all time: It’s Garry Shandling’s Show and The Larry Sanders Show. He was a great Emmys host, too, and a quiet mentor to so many other comics in need.
17. Prince died of a prescription drug overdose. The incredible legacy he leaves behind which doesn’t even include the thousands of songs he never released.
18. Zack Ryder’s one and only InterContinental title reign lasted exactly one day. Why do his pushes always seem like ribs?
19. Doris Roberts died. Both Barones are gone now.
20. Brexit. The United Kingdom isn’t so united anymore. What other European nations will follow Ol’ Blimey’s risky lead?
21. George Michael died on Christmas Day.
22. The endless civil war in Syria. So many villains who should be prosecuted for war crimes.
23. Palestine is still illegally occupied by Apartheid Israel.
24. Matt DeHart is still in prison.
25. The lack of justice for mostly Black and Indigenous victims of police brutality. The racist status quo cannot and must not continue to protect murderers and torturers of the state.
26. James Ellsworth. Enough.
27. Chelsea Manning attempted suicide twice (which she was punished for) as she continues to be persecuted and tortured with solitary confinement for exposing deplorable war crimes by the American government. Release her immediately and let her transition already. She’s suffered enough for her uncommon courage and conviction.
28. All the terrible films I saw this year: Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, Pixels, Hot Pursuit, Bad Teacher, The Lazarus Effect, Get Hard, the Black Christmas remake, Johnny English, Johnny English Reborn, Damien: Omen II, Born In East LA, The Wedding Ringer, Identity Thief, The Heat, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, No One Lives, Night Of The Creeps, Bending The Rules, The Last American Virgin, Bloodsport, The Last Exorcism Part II, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Basket Case, Krampus, Dolls, Jessabelle, Brain Damage, Wolfcop, The Haunting In Connecticut 2: Ghosts Of Georgia, Street Trash, Zombie High, We’re The Millers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), Masters Of The Universe, Observe And Report, National Lampoon’s Van Wilder, Silent Night Deadly Night, Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2, Here Comes The Boom, Let’s Be Cops, Death Wish II, Death Wish 3, Death Wish 4: The Crackdown, Death Wish: The Face Of Death, Three Fugitives, Evilspeak, Ride Along, Ride Along 2, Knucklehead, Hatchet, Meatballs, Meatballs Part II, The Gallows, Daddy’s Home, The Out-Of-Towners remake, 22 Jump Street, Ted, Hotel Transylvania, Hotel Transylvania 2, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, The Funhouse, Critters, Critters 2, the Conan The Barbarian remake, Swing Parade, Africa Screams, At War With The Army, Check And Double Check, The Flying Deuces, Deathouse (AKA Silent Night, Bloody Night), The Smallest Show On Earth, My Favourite Brunette, The Perfect Score, Cheech & Chong’s Animated Movie!, And Now For Something Completely Different and The Great Rupert.
29. Only some Russian Olympians were banned from competition in the Summer Games in Brazil. Why not all of them? All their Paralympians were barred. Why the double standard?
30. Cody Rhodes left the WWE. Even he got sick of being Stardust.
31. MuchMoreMusic was yanked off the air.
32. New2You quietly closed its Lime Ridge location. I bought so many cheap CDs there over the years. I will miss it dearly.
33. Ryan Lochte. What the hell was he thinking? Oh right. He wasn’t.
34. Russ Feingold wasn’t able to get elected back to the Senate.
35. “Iron” Mike Sharpe died. Why isn’t he in the WWE Hall of Fame as a jobber?
36. Amber Heard’s damning testimony about her abusive ex-husband Johnny Depp. She deserves better and he should be ashamed of himself.
37. The desperate campaign to outlaw the peaceful #BDS movement against Apartheid Israel. Try as they may, AI and their Western governmental allies cannot stop the inevitable end of violent colonial Zionism.
38. Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds both died during the same week over the Christmas holidays. Doubly sad.
39. Montreal lost in the MLS final to Seattle. Boring game. Penalty kicks are a terrible way to settle a scoreless draw.
40. The Chris Jericho/Dean Ambrose asylum match at Extreme Rules. Too long and too slow. No wonder the audience in attendance stayed quiet for most of it. If it wasn’t for the thumbtacks, the ending would’ve been terrible, too. Don’t expect this silly concept to be repeated.
41. The overcrowded announce table on Smackdown Live. Does the WWE not realize that we don’t need three terrible colour commentators all at once?
42. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi. Michael Bay reimagines the most politicized moment of the misbegotten Libyan invasion as a long-winded action epic. No thanks.
43. The Undertaker vs. Shane McMahon at WrestleMania 32. If McMahon hadn’t jumped off the top of Hell In A Cell, would anybody be even talking about this match? And what was the point of the stipulation if it was never going to be honoured?
44. Radiohead finally released a studio version of True Love Waits and it’s dreary. I prefer the more moving live version from the I Might Be Wrong EP.
45. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. Exceedingly manipulative and annoyingly sexist. I only laughed twice.
46. Ride Along 2. Will Kevin Hart ever make a good comedy? Just as bad as the original.
47. The constant, dangerous scaremongering about Vladimir Putin and Russia. Democrats will blame anybody but themselves for their pathetic electoral performance this year. Soul searching is not their strong suit.
48. Damien Sandow was fired from the WWE. That’s not the way you treat The Intellectual Savior Of The Unwashed Masses.
49. The Forest. The concept is far better than the execution, unfortunately.
50. Rodrigo Duterte, the psychotic leader of The Philippines, who openly admitted to murdering his citizens as part of his horrific War on Drugs. No wonder he’s an ally of the American government.
51. The Liberals lied about the deal to sell weaponry to Saudi Arabia. Now it’s up to a Canadian court to decide whether it should be honoured. It shouldn’t.
52. The overblown incident in the House of Commons when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accidentally elbowed an MP from the NDP during a contentious vote. Trudeau wasn’t the one who needed to apologize repeatedly. When even feminists criticized the controversy, you know it was nothing.
53. Kellie Leitch. Loathsome, dishonest, racist, elitist. The perfect face for the modern Conservative Party of Canada.
54. Obama & Congress will give 40 billion dollars to Apartheid Israel to help it continue propping up its endless, illegal occupation of oppressed Palestinians over the next decade. If Netanyahu’s truly upset about the Iran Deal and the USG’s refusal to veto the latest UN condemnation of illegal settlements, he’ll reject the money. You know he won’t, though. Because #BDS is hurting Apartheid Israel’s economy. And Zionism needs welfare to survive.
55. The ongoing, heartless persecution of Palestinian activist and torture survivor Rasmeh Odeh. End her ordeal and clear her name already.
56. No one has gone to prison for murdering Baltimore resident Freddie Gray.
57. One stubborn juror led to the mistrial of North Carolina police officer Michael Slager who murdered Walter Scott as captured on video. It’s Rodney King all over again. Even actual footage isn’t enough to get a conviction for a white cop killing a black man in America.
58. 49 people were murdered at a gay club in Florida by a man who may have been gay himself. Awful, just awful.
59. The news media’s early, constant coverage of Donald Trump and his long-winded rallies without much scrutiny of his record during the Republican primaries. Are you happy now, Les Moonves?
60. The ongoing suicide crisis in the Canadian Indigenous community. We are failing these kids. We must do better. We must listen to their concerns and directly address them.
61. Kurt Eichenwald. He supported the wrong Democrat. He’s not to be trusted. And he’s a whiny bitch, too.
62. For the first time in about half a decade, the WWE split its roster again by putting half on Raw and half on Smackdown. Not only that, they’ve added more championships so now each show has its own World Champion, mid-card-Champion, Tag Team Champions and Womens Champion, plus show-centric pay-per-views. So lame. Why return to such a failed concept? The Raw vs. Smackdown rivalry is phony. You all work for the same goddamn company! No wonder your TV ratings suck so bad.
63. The failed coup in Turkey. It gave authoritarian Erdogan every excuse to crack down on whatever democracy was still left in his troubled country. Why hasn’t he been kicked out of NATO?
64. There wasn’t a single person of colour nominated for an acting Oscar. Because of the public outcry, I suspect 2017 will be very different.
65. Media Matters For America going all in for a loser. Still with Hill, jackwads?
66. Alberto Del Rio left the WWE. Again.
67. The moral cowardice of Aung San Suu Kyi. She doesn’t give a damn about the ruthless persecution of Rohingya Muslims in her own country. Despicable.
68. Nat Turner and Casey Affleck are in contention for Academy Awards next year but face serious accusations of sexual assault and sexual harassment, respectively. Turner faced a lot of scrutiny and didn’t handle it particularly well, while Affleck, a likely Best Actor nominee, just hosted Saturday Night Live and has routinely been given a free pass. After decades of protecting Bill Cosby, the entertainment press needs to address this with Affleck directly. Innocent lives are at stake. Turner’s victim committed suicide.
69. The Nightly Show was cancelled just as it was finding its satirical voice in the insane world of American politics. Comedy Central should’ve had more faith in it.
70. Bowie’s Blackstar wasn’t nominated for the Album Of The Year Grammy. A huge, insulting oversight.
71. Muhammad Ali died. He was an asshole to Joe Frazier but I’ll always respect his opposition to Vietnam.
72. Corey Graves and Byron Saxton at the Raw commentary table. Absolutely no chemistry whatsoever.
73. Alan Rickman died. He may have been a villain on-screen but he was a mensch in real life. His public support for Rachel Corrie, an activist murdered by Apartheid Israel, should always be remembered.
74. The Wars on Drugs, Black people, Indigenous communities, trans, gay, lesbian & bisexual folks, sexual assault survivors, journalists, whistleblowers, prisoners, women, Sikhs and Muslims continues unabated.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Saturday, December 31, 2016